Deciding to implement a project can be an overwhelming task. Where do you start? How do you manage it? What are the options? What do you hope to achieve? How do you measure success? All of these questions are important in designing your project. Furthermore, how do you effectively transfer Project Management Principles and methodologies to developing countries?
CCIB Solutions assists in the creation and implementation of projects using a results-oriented approach. Results-based management (RBM) is a program/project lifecycle approach that integrates strategy, people, resources, processes and measurements to improve decision-making. The approach focuses on achieving outcomes (results), measuring change during the life of the project, learning and adapting to contextual realities as well as reporting the changes achieved by the project. RBM is not a tool, but rather a complete management system. RBM has been in use for more than 30 years and is generally the approach favoured for development projects by funders and beneficiaries. The benefits of using RBM are the following:
- It helps you explain results and compete for limited resources or partnerships
- Thinking all the way through to clear results allows for clear implementation tactics
- Clarifying results allows for better communication and expectation management
- More realistic timelines and activity sequences can be created, facilitating management
- Through an ongoing, embedded monitoring effort, decision making based on evidence becomes easier
When using this approach you will be able to design realistic development plans in complex social situations. CCIB Solutions can help you with a whole range of aspects of this process, including:
- guided brainstorming, preparing baseline studies, social impact assessments, feasibility studies and conducting due diligence
- cross cultural training, holding effective community consultations and developing partnerships models to manage expectations and generate genuine buy-in and support
- examining and applying for project funding sources, effectively selecting partners and conducting a broad stakeholder analysis
- identifying assumptions and conditions for success of your project, including risk factors and strategies to mitigate that risk
- understanding different concepts in RBM such as outcomes, outputs, activities and indicators
- developing accessible monitoring strategies and tools to benchmark project implementation
- preparing an RBM performance management framework
- preparing effective reports with analysis that will guide future decision making
- project close-out and sustainability
- guidance on how to celebrate and leverage a successful project
Results-based management and strategic planning processes are essential to supporting long-term vision.
While RBM is a project-focused approach, CCIB Solutions can also help you examine external factors that are favorable and unfavorable conditions for setting achievable objectives. We do this by facilitating a SWOT analysis for your venture or project. SWOT analysis assesses the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.
Good project design helps bring in resources, but entrepreneurial and managerial skills are also required to achieve sustainable results. RBM and strategic planning processes are essential to supporting that long-term vision, but they do not cover all facets of entrepreneurial competences and skills.