Capacity building is a conceptual framework that focuses on understanding the obstacles that inhibit people, governments, international organizations, the private sector and NGOs from achieving measurable and sustainable results in the development and corporate social responsibility sectors. Although many capacity-building efforts are focused on individual skills, competencies and abilities (often improved through training), even skilled development practitioners are unlikely to deliver project services effectively, without adequate supplies and equipment, proper motivation and support, and a good relationship with the community they serve. Coordinated capacity building is required for these areas, and there are considerable overlaps between the capacity building that is needed for individual, organizational and societal levels.
Capacity-building for individuals requires the development of conditions that allow people to improve and enhance their existing knowledge and skills.
Capacity-building for individuals requires the development of conditions that allow people to improve and enhance their existing knowledge and skills. It also requires establishment of conditions that enable individuals to engage in a process of learning and adapting to change. For an organization, capacity building should address problems related to policy, structures, and effective methods of management and revenue control, while considering the potential, limits and needs of the organization and the communities they work with.
CCIB Solutions focuses on capacity building for NGOs and the private sector. We can equip individuals with the understanding, skills and ability to access information, knowledge and training that will enable them to perform effectively. For organizations, we can help improve management structures, processes and procedures within your organization and help manage your relationships with different organizations and sectors. Examples of the areas we offer to increase capacity include:
- training courses and one-to-one instruction
- developing a suite of courses and curriculum design to build skills in specific sectors or contexts
- development of training manuals and case studies
- review of organizational practice, policy and quality assurance
- creation of monitoring and evaluation strategies to measure increases in capacity
We offer particular expertise in the following areas of capacity building at the individual and organizational level:
- training of trainers
- cross-cultural effectiveness
- poverty reduction strategies for organizations
- gender equality practices for organizations
- community liaison strategies during emergency relief and disaster response
- developing research and teaching capacity of organizations
- strategic planning for development organizations or specific interventions
- design and implementation of corporate social responsibility strategies